Friday, September 21, 2007

Double Standard, Double Take


I found this funny cartoon on The Jokester. Poor Ethel, I am on her side.
I rememebr when I used to pose the argument that it is so unfair that hairy, out of shape men can walk all around all day around downtown half naked but ladies of equal or better propotions can't. Now I will be honest, it did not occur to me even once that the provincial government would rectify this unfair law by dismissing it and making it legal for women to go around topless. My sincere hope was that the government would instead, upon acknowledging the said unfairness, create a like law to stop overweight, hairy men from walking around the streets of Toronto unless fully and modestly clothed.
Nope, now we are stuck with both the Ethels and the husbands of the country walking around in (almost) all of their glory....although I will be honest and say I have yet to actually see a topless Ethel. Just some attention hungry 20-30 year olds.

No comments: