Friday, April 13, 2007

Spoonerism...Yep, it's a real word.

First I would just like to say that my puppy went all night without having any sort of accident. This morning, she ran straight for the puppy pad a peed all over it. Then, a few minutes after I fed her her organic breakdfast mush, she then ran over to a freshly laid out puppy pad and shat right on it! Yay! Now this could entirley be a fluke. In no way do I consider these dark days of constant clean up over but, hey, I finally have a spark of hope. Whew!

Now, off the topic of my dog's development and onto mine. They say that you learn something new everyday and I certainly hope that's true. I personally love the idea of being in a perpetual state of learning and development. To help matters along, I signed up for Dictionary.com's word of the day email. It has been coming to my inbox at work for a while now but for the first time I got a word I just had to share: spoonerism \SPOO-nuh-riz-uhm\, noun.

Apparently a spoonerism is when you accidentally mix up two words in sentence to make two entirely different words and, therefore, an entirely different sentence. One of the examples given was, instead of saying "Let me show you to your seat" someone says "Let me sew you to your sheet". As I was reading this email, all I could think was how "spoonerism" had to be coined from some poor smuck who had the constant habbit of mangling his words. Turns out I was right. At the bottom of the message, this is what I read:

"Spoonerism comes from the name of the Rev. William Archibald Spooner (1844-1930), a kindly but nervous Anglican clergyman and educationalist. "

The poor guy, I wonder if he pictured this as his legacy? Ah well, it could be worse I suppose. I, for instance, will probably always be known as the poster girl for "Why kids shouldn't let their parents cut their hair". It was one time, years and years ago yet people just can't seem to let it go.

No comments: