Monday, June 25, 2007

Outsourcing to India and Other Fun Workplace Trends

The Internet blocker is back up at work so until I am given access to the code, I will be miserable and very, very bored. All of my fun duties involve my Internet tasks. I have said this before but it was in a post long, long ago so I don't feel completely redundant in repeating it; I find it very ironic that the Internet blocker is designed to keep us employees focused on our work and not surfing for personal interests, yet the blocker has blocked most of the sites I need to complete my tasks while at the same time left me access to this, my personal blog.

Ah well, I have bigger things to worry about than my workday boredom. For example, my mother lost her job on Friday because her company decided to outsource her position to India. This is happening to a lot of people in a lot of companies but I thought my mother would be safe because she is a technical writer. It simply did not occur to me that positions involving written communications would be well suited to India. Maybe they write the documents in their own language and then have it translated....

Anyway, I am sure my mother will find something soon. She is very good at what she does and pretty resiliant. If not, well, why not just pack up the family and move to India? I hear they are hiring like crazy over there...

No comments: